How does the Platform work
SCBP was conceptualised by NIUA in 2015 under a Gates Foundation Grant.
NIUA initiates and facilitates engagement of the SCBP Platform Partners at the State government level, for advocating and awareness generation for Faecal Sludge and Septage Management(FSSM). Followed by on demand support for capacity building and implementation of decentralised sanitation solutions at state and city level. SCBP promotes a four-module based Capacity Building support.
SCBP works at both state and national level. At state level the Platform is currently working through NIUA in the states of Rajasthan and Uttarakhand to create an enabling environment, undertake state wide capacity building and provide technical support for decentralised sanitation solutions. At the national level the Platform anchors Caapcity Building for decentralised sanitation, in partnership with nodal national training institutes accredited under national schemes. Developing appropriate Training Modules and supporting their delivery in over 10 states of India.
Why Decentralised Sanitation Solutions
Centralised sanitation solutions are not the norm in India. 68% of the urban population of India(2011 Census) relied on on-site sanitation, such as septic tanks and pits or open defecation. Decentralized sanitation solutions broadly classified as Faecal Sludge and Septage Management(FSSM), are critical for achieving the goals for urban sanitation under various national missions. Decentralized sanitation options are scientifically proven solutions to complement centralized systems or even replace them owing to their low operational cost, that have the potential to serve all urban and peri urban settelements and positively impact the lives and health for all.
FSSM is the collection and transportation of faecal sludge from the containment system, treatment of the sludge at a designated site, followed by safe disposal or reuse of the treated sludge.
All stakeholders ranging from National Missions, State and Town Officials(Public Health, Engineering and Administration), Elected Representatives, Private Sector Consultants and Vendors, NGOs, Academia, Masons and the Citizens at large.
The Platform provides a sharing and cross learning opportunity for SCBP Partners. To pool in their knowledge resources on all aspects of urban sanitation capacity building. Facilitates joint development of training modules, learning and advocacy material including developing Key Messages and Content. And a platform for sharing and dissemination of FSSM Research, Advocacy and outreach to State governments and Urban Local Bodies.
Over the last two years the Platform has produced Training Modules and Lerning Content on Decentralised Sanitation solutions, that is now accessed by a larger audience nationally and globally. Technical Assistance from SCBP has resulted in the first Assessments/DPRs for Faecal Sludge Treatment Plants for the states of UP and Bihar. Policy Advise has resulted in the frst Draft FSSM Policy of UP and Rajasthan. Research work has prodiced 4 Reports on sanitation status and challenges for towns of 4 states.
- State Level & National Capacity Building Support : Policy Advise, Training of ULB staff, Research and Advocacy
- Institutional Capacity Building : Nodal AMRUT Agencies and State Training Institutes Capacity Building and Trainings Support
- Acadmeia and Private Sector Capacity Building Support and Engagement
Capacity building strategy at state level : 4 Modules
- Sensitization/ orientation training for all ULBs (Elected Representatives, Engineers from ULB and Parastatal, Commissioner/EO)
- First Specialized Training for Commissioner/EO and Engineers:
- ODF and ODF++ City and exposure visit to Wai/ Sinar (selected SBM cities)
- Integrated waste water management and exposure visit in Pune (selected AMRUT cities)
- Technology option for FSM and exposure visit to Devanahalli (ten selected cities where detailed engagement is planned for supporting incremental changes/ preparation of DPR)
- Second Specialized Training on planning and financing of FSM projects for Commissioner/ EO and Engineers from 10-15 selected cities where detailed engagement is planned for supporting incremental changes/ preparation of DPR
- International Exposure visit for state officials, Elected Representatives, Engineers from ULB and Parastatal, Commissioner/EO (five selected cities for which support is to be provided for preparation of DPR for FSTP)
SCBP is now undertaking a Review of all Training Modules developed in the last 2 years on FSSM, with the aim of improving their content, structure and effectiveness. SCBP is also exanding its engagement with the Nodal Training Institutes and with the Acadmia to integrate FSSM into their course curriculum for wider outreach and impact.